The artist's personal copy

FELIXMÜLLER (Conrad)

Sonderausstellung [= Special Exhibition] Conrad Felixmüller geboren am 21. Mai 1897 in Dresden. Zeichnungen, Aquarelle, Holzschnitte [= Drawings, Watercolours, Woodcuts].

(No place, Buchdruckerei F. Emil Boden GMBH, 1926).

12mo, illustrated card self wrappers. (4) pp. List of 69 works (watercolours, drawings, woodcuts) in the exhibition. 2 b/w reproductions: a self-portrait of the artist on the front cover, a woodcut of writer Carl Sternheim on the lower cover. Complete.

First and only edition.

The artist’s copy of the catalogue to his solo exhibition of 1926 at the art gallery H. Trittler in Frankfurt, with a signed ownership inscription in black ink on the front cover.

Conrad Felixmüller (1897-1977), printmaker and painter, the youngest of a second generation of Expressionists who emerged in Dresden in the wake of the Brücke artists. By age eighteen, he worked as an independent artist and taught himself various printmaking techniques. In 1915, he began making regular visits to Berlin, where he shared a studio with Ludwig Meidner, frequented Expressionist soirées, and, in 1916, exhibited at the Galerie Der Sturm. War and friendship with socialist publisher Franz Pfemfert fostered an increasingly radical political stance. From 1917 to 1923, Felixmüller published many drawings and woodcuts in Pfemfert’s journal, Die Aktion, as well as other leftist Expressionist periodicals, such as the Dresden-based Menschen [Mankind], which he co-founded in 1918. He also helped found several revolutionary artists’ organisations in Dresden. He favoured portraiture, including many loving depictions of his wife and children and images of the working class and their plight. He taught etching to Otto Dix in 1919/20. Printmaking spanned his entire career from 1913 to 1976 and was a source of earliest success. Ultimately, he made 699 woodcuts, etchings and lithographs. Former membership of the Communist party made him a target of the Nazis, who seized and destroyed works they deemed degenerate (MoMA/German Expressionism, The Graphic Impulse).

Founded in 1870, the Kunstausstellung H. Trittler, Frankfurt a/M., Goetheplatz 6-8, was the leading centre for graphic arts in Frankfort for over a hundred years. This important gallery specialised in German, English, Belgian, French and Dutch etchers, but there were also several Austrian artists (including Wolfgang Born, Georg Ehrlich, Clara Epstein, Ludwig Heinrich Jungnickel, Oskar Laske, Ferdinand Michl, Anton Samz, Lilly Steiner), which were shown in Frankfurt. Jewish artists (including Josef Budko, Clara Epstein, Jozef Israëls, Ephraim Moses Lilies, Jakob Steinhardt, Hermann Struck, and Gertrud Ulmann) were also regularly shown due to the large Jewish community in Frankfurt. In 1926, the gallery presented the following artists: Hermann Struck, Josef Budko, Max Slevogt, Alfred Kubin, Heinrich Zille, Ludwig Heinrich Jungnickel, Max Liebermann (Zeichnungen), Emil Nolde (Aquarelle, Graphik), Johannes Thiel, Hans Kohl (Gemälde, Graphiken), Joseph Pennell (Gedächtnisausstellung), Conrad Sutter (zum 70. Geburtstag), George Grosz (Aquarelle, Zeichnungen, Graphik), Franz M. Jansen, Fifi Kreutzer [Mathilde Kreutzer-Jansen] and Conrad Felixmüller.

Very rare indeed. A very good copy.

Ref. Date and information supplied by the Berlinische Galerie, Museum of Modern Art, Berlin.